Highway Funding in the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act
UPDATE: The president signed the IIJA on November 15, 2021. The bill is unchanged from the version described in this brief.
The Senate has approved and sent to the House a five-year infrastructure bill, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA; H.R. 3684). The nearly 3,000-page bill authorizes or reauthorizes:
- Surface transportation programs
- New investments in surface transportation, transit, rail, and energy
- Drinking and wastewater programs
- Broadband investments
- A host of other programs in areas including Indian water rights, wildfire mitigation, reforestation, recycling, bioproducts, cybersecurity, public-private partnerships, federal permitting, Build America/Buy America programs, and clean school buses and ferries
- Revenues affecting the Highway Trust Fund (HTF) and other funds
The bill also provides appropriations for certain programs. This brief summarizes funding included in Division A of the bill, which authorizes highway programs for fiscal year (FY) 2022 through FY 2026. This brief also covers advance appropriations provided for the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) in Division J of the bill.