FEMA Announces FY 2021 Preparedness Grants with New Requirements
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released fiscal year (FY) 2021 funding notices for preparedness grant programs , which provide almost $1.9 billion in funding. State allocations for FY 2021 were released for:
- State Homeland Security Grant Program (SHSGP)
- Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI)
- Emergency Management Performance Grants (EMPG)
Target allocations were also announced for the state portion of the Nonprofit Security Grant Program.
As in FY 2020, FEMA is requiring that SHSGP and UASI grantees invest a portion of grant funding in priority activities. For FY 2021, at least 30% of total funding must be spent on the priority areas listed below, with a specific percentage designated for each purpose:
- Cybersecurity – 7.5%
- Soft targets and crowded places – 5%
- Intelligence and information sharing – 5%
- Emerging threats – 5%
- Domestic violent extremism – 7.5%
The final priority area—addressing domestic violent extremism—is a new priority in FY 2021; all others were priorities in FY 2020.